Pages

Monday 15 July 2013

BUSINESS 101: Rescued From the Blows of an Angry Customer

The day started just like any other and I had felt motivated to step out of my room to make some sales calls. Not by phone but by legs. This was 2004 – only few years into the GSM revolution. Call and SMS charges were still astronomical at the time, so I had to engage my legs in order to cut my operational costs. The previous day had been profitable. I had made some sales and I was beginning to feel good about the ‘job’. Here I was – a bloody freshman who had just resumed school that year to study a course with a very long name. Well, that didn’t matter to me, as long as I was studying that course at the self-acclaimed Most Beautiful Campus in Africa. I’ll have to leave you to figure that out.

Anyways, back to business. I was an employee of CostumeFocus Laundry Club – the first laundry cleaning agency in school at the time. As a marketer, my job was to sell “recharge cards” to clients. Each of the N200 denominated cards had N20 valued ‘dots’ printed on them. To wash a piece of fabric cost N20; so whenever our ‘boys’ came to pick up clients’ clothes, the dot(s) was marked or shaded – depending on the number of clothes to be washed. This excluded other complementary services such as starching and ironing which attracted an extra N20 charge, respectively. The laundry club business was indeed an answer to the prayers of many a student who couldn’t give their expensive clothes to the local women who washed for students in the hall. The women had a poor track record of washing with brushes that spoilt fragile clothes; and in other cases, there was outright loss or theft of clothes. Therefore our entry into that ‘industry’ was indeed a respite to many – thanks to our marketing and packaging strategies. The commission I earned on each card I sold was quite attractive and I was glad I could earn some more money to augment my monthly stipend from home. But I never knew that the young and fledging company had operational issues that would soon land me in trouble.

Fred (not real name), a 100-level law student and next-door neighbor was my first client; and he was clearly one of the ‘big boys’ in the hall, whatever that means. When I was closing the sale on him, he had asked me over and over again if I was sure that his clothes will be delivered on time. I gave him my word. Our boss had also given us his word, so we (marketers) had no cause to worry about the ability of the company to deliver on its promise. Our job was to sell cards, sell more cards and sell more and more cards while the boss worries about the rest.

On that fateful Friday, Fred had given our ‘boys’ all his three white shirts and trousers on a Saturday morning (law students are required to wear only white and black outfits to class), to be delivered by Monday evening – ahead of his Tuesday morning class. The promise was to deliver within 48 hours. I was still sleeping on Monday morning when l I heard a bang on my door. “Where is that Sam of a boy?!” Fred shouted. “Where are my clothes? Isn’t it 48hrs already?” he yelled. My roommates watched as I staggered out of my bed trying to explain why his clothes had not arrived. Unfortunately, I didn’t make sense to myself – how much more to my angry client. I tried placing a call to my boss but the network turned its back on me. I tried to speak some ‘English’ so as to calm my angry client but it fell on deaf ears. Fred had no other clothes to wear to class, and you know, ‘big boys’ don’t borrow. So it is clear that he had every right to be angry. Fortunately, he cooled his temper and gave me a stern warning and ultimatum that if his clothes didn’t arrive first thing in the morning, he will kill me.

I had never been threatened all my life. This was a whole new vista for me. To be sure, I wasn’t scared, but I was kinda troubled. I didn’t want to lose this customer and well as other prospects who might hear of that ugly incident. How could this happen when I was just beginning to ‘enjoy’ the job? So I had to place calls upon calls to my boss to find out what exactly was happening. My people couldn’t give me a satisfactory response. At a point, they couldn’t even find the clothes. But I had no choice but to keep putting pressure on my boss. This went on until the ultimatum expired and Fred came back firing from all cylinders. The class he was billed to attend was few minutes away and he had started cursing from his room down through the corridor, until he barged into my room boiling with anger. I was visibly shaken. His face was red with anger. His toned muscles were set for action. I stood helpless as Fred made to pound and box the living daylight out of me. But for the timely intervention of my roommates I would have been battered and scuffled beyond recognition. You can imagine the embarrassment that followed the rescue mission of my roommates. Of course, my company and I became the butt of jokes in my room. And it climaxed when ‘my company’ finally delivered WET clothes to my disappointed client later in the evening.

After that incident, I left; and I later learnt that the company also folded up few months afterwards, perhaps primarily as a result of their inability to deliver on promises, among other things. Looking back, I learnt few lessons that have been useful for in life and business:

-  Start small, but don’t remain small. As you grow, be flexible. Review your system processes and expand your capacity to meet customer demands. “In the end, the customer doesn’t know, or care, if you are small or large as an organization,” Giorgio Armani counsels. “He or she only focuses on the garment hanging on the rail in the store”.

-  As a business owner, you must be on top of your game. Being proactive is a virtue that should be cultivated. One of the tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency. “If you don’t drive your business, you’ll be driven out of business”, B.C. Forbes.

-  Don’t give up on your dreams. You might be broke but please ensure that you are not broken. Your driving force is what keeps you afloat during your trying moments. “I’m not a driven business man, but a driven artist. I never think about money. Beautiful things make money”, declares Lord Acton.

Finally, I’m of the opinion that if CostumeFocus Laundry Club had stayed in the game and weathered the storm, it would have been a multi-million naira company today. Let’s be honest. There’s not a business anywhere that is without problems. Business is complicated and imperfect. Every business everywhere is staffed with imperfect human beings and exists by providing a product or service to other imperfect human beings. Therefore, it is not the strongest of the companies that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Kindly share.

25BB383A
+234-803-442-1195

No comments:

Post a Comment